Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Time to Accessorize

        Style. We all have our own. Each feeling comfortable with our special quirk. I've always admired those who can rock the latest trends. And in each decade I've lived, I have seen some interesting trends!! Even went through a few myself! (Hip hugger jeans in the 70's!!  Leg warmers in the 80's!!)
       But personal style in nothing without accessories. Hats, earrings, handbags, belts, shoes, boots... the list is endless. Each of us has that one item that once we've got it on, the attitude changes and we walk a little taller! I've never been much of a clothes horse, I am the most comfortable in jeans, t-shirt and a great pair of broken-in Reeboks. It's my accessory that makes me.
       I have one friend with a bracelet fetish, another a collector of handbags, and one who loves boots. But me? My favorite accessory? My car. Yep, I said it. My car. There is nothing like it. Climbing behind the wheel, adjusting every thing just so... pushing the clutch pedal in, gliding the shifter into 1st gear, aahhh... for me, that's heaven. I just love to drive. Let me say that again... I just love to drive!!
       I have always had a thing for cars. Every car I've owned in my driving career, no matter what shape the poor thing was in, I tried to fix, cover, or disguise.. I'd wash, wax and shine to make it look it's best. Once that was achieved, I'd sit a little taller, my disposition more self assured and I'd feel fantastic!!
       Oh, I've felt the sting of finding one of my favorite sweaters in the dryer - now 3 sizes smaller than me! Another sting of one missing (and still lost!) diamond earring! The loss of that favorite item, whatever it may be, is painful. (Damn! I looked great in that!!) Oh... Ouch!! Stung again!! Only this time it's my FAVORITE accessory!!
       A few days before Thanksgiving, on my way to work in the pouring rain, I caught a patch of standing water in the road and it spun my little blue car around in circles and then crashed into the guard rail. Many blessings were counted - I was not hurt - no other cars or people involved - no property damaged. Whew!! Poor little thing took a hard hit though and has been parked in our driveway since, awaiting judgement as to whether or not it can be fixed. Another blessing is that I do own another vehicle, so I was not without a car. Things changed though... car #2 is now down for the count. Fixable? Yes, but very, very costly.
       I am now driving one of Del's cars. I am not complaining, as it is a way to get from point A to point B. It's just that I am not myself in this vehicle. It's a hoopty. Just typing that word depresses me. A black car with  a white hood and one white fender. Ok, imagine that beautiful leather coat you love to wear, because it just wears you so well. It's gone. Now imagine another black coat but someone has ripped the collar and one sleeve off of it and replaced it with dirty white corduroy... are you with me? Let's just say... I DON'T WANNA WEAR THIS COAT  DRIVE THIS CAR!!!
       Umm, sorry, but it goes beyond just looking hoopty! To get out of said vehicle, you have to roll the window down to open door from outside as it has no inside door handle. When it rains it drips on your left leg. The dashboard has a huge void where a radio once resided. Now a big gaping hole with wires dangling. (Anyone who knows me knows that music is a BIG DEAL with me..... smh). But the kicker of this hoopty (as if these few things were not enough) is I must lift the hood and touch a wire to the positive post on the battery to start it!!!! Arrggg!!! Really??
        I am not, in any way, under valuing the fact that I have a car to drive. I realize there are many that do not have the luxury of having multiple cars to use. For this I am very grateful. But my vanity is suffering!!
       Ok, I've come to the conclusion it is time for a new coat... er, car. Not necessarily a new one... just one that is new to me. The hunt has begun. It's sorta like contemplating a new hair style. Hmm.. wonder what the future has in store?

No comments:

Post a Comment