Saturday, February 4, 2012

How fast was that again?

30 years.
       That block of time went by in the 'blink of an eye'. Stupid saying, but so true. Defined by my daughter Shelby, my 'Booboo', as I loving refer to her, who was born Feb 11, 1982. As her 30th birthday approaches I am so overwhelmed by thoughts of her. Her actual birth day was such a surprise! I had returned to Minneapolis just a few days earlier from a trip to St.Louis. A St.Louis baby shower!! It had been stressful not because I had flown, but because the day I was to board my plane and leave St.Louis, there was a blizzard and I couldn't even get off my Mom's street to make it to the airport!! The entire midwest was covered with record snowfalls.. most types of transportation were near stand still conditions! But it was just a one day inconvenience as St.Louis plowed through the mess and got the city going again the following day.
Not due until March 21st, my little sweetie decided she was ready to make her entrance... (so like her mother, with that unfortunate personality flaw - does not like waiting!!) And the next thing I knew I was holding this tiny little creature, all 5 pounds and  1/2 ounce of her.

       If you had asked me, (well you didn't even have to ask me as I voiced my opinion quite loudly on the subject!!) I would have told you that I didn't want to have children. I was a very selfish entity that could only think about the immediate needs of ME. In fact, at 25, I still had growing up issues! My mind never wrapped itself around the idea of being a parent. I had even said many times that if I were to get pregnant, then I would take means necessary to change that status.
       One day, after a few days of not feeling well, my best friend brought me a pregnancy test! No! Not possible!! But the damn thing said yes. Ok. Here I am. After all the bragging of what I would do if.... I now find myself at that crossroad. But, something inside... something inside..   I agonized over it, I changed my outlook on things and I stepped into a different world. The world of Motherhood. ugh. Even the sound of it. This is going to be so hard. What was I thinking??

       As any woman can tell you having a first child is extremely frightening and extremely exciting!! There is nothing like it to explain the mixed emotions. The body changes... the belly... the mood swings... it was wonderfully distressing! I don't know if I would have been more prepared mentally for her arrival if it had been closer to the 'supposed' due date. The fact she busted out early was soooo my life!! When they placed this so very small bundle in my arms...  my heart screamed bring it on!! I have so many stories about my little sweetie. So many cool things that only her and I share. The unconventional upbringing she has had shaped her into the loving, caring mother of three she has become. She is someone who taught me about myself in her innocence and teaches me to this day.
30 years.
       It went by in a blink of an eye...

4 comments:

  1. Love this chick my cuz shelby might not see her often but when I do its like we see eachother everyday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Francine, I love this post! I also wanted to let you know I nominuated you for an award on my blog to hopefulyl bring you some more readers. I can't wait to catch up and here all about last weekend. I love you doll!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanna! Wow! Also can't wait to catch up!!

      Delete
  3. Jeanna reccomended your blog and if she's you are good I should definitely be reading. Great Post! Congrats on the award.

    ReplyDelete