Thursday, May 17, 2012

Up or down, how do you ride?

I had a 5am plane to meet this morning. Not much traffic driving into town, which was nice. I got to see the sunrise, and that's a switch, as I usually see it setting! The weather was beautiful, about 70 degrees. With work finished, heading home, this day's beauty in my face - both windows are down and the sunroof is wide open. I took my time driving home because I simply wasn't in a hurry. And that was nice too.
As I rode through the morning commuters, I was struck by the fact that very few drive with their windows down. Those who crack the window, say a couple inches, you don't count. I am talking about having all the windows all the way down. Once was the time when there were very few who rode with the windows up!! ("Oooo! (said in my envious voice) They must have air conditioning!!") There was more communication, more connection to others then. Not any more. So closed off from everyone else. In these vehicles that already have way too much going on for the average driver. I long for the good old days... when the dashboard was just a plain old dashboard. Not a media mecca. Not a docking station for portable devices. How fast I'm going and how much gas I have is all I really need to know!
I know most people nowadays would not consider giving up the comfort of their AC for any length of time. I prefer not to have or use AC. Yes, I do get hot without it. And sometimes even sticky. But I am used to it. As a society we have been...( haha for the lack of a better word...) conditioned!! Most folks feel as if they might die if they have to endure life without AC! And spoiled is all they have become.
I feel old realizing that things will never be like they used to be. I come from a time when you lived among people. You know, another human talking face to face.. or at least through an open window!
I like the fact that I can roll up to a stoplight and can hear that beautiful sound of a badass V8 rumbling in the next lane. Or hear the giggling of little kids as I roll past the schoolyard during recess. And the cheers coming from the stadium as the home team scores. So much life is missed all closed up in those vehicles.

When was the last time you rode with life blowing through your windows?








No comments:

Post a Comment